Making the Right Connection in Macomb County
Return to



Section HH

In addition to the specific services listed in this chapter for which only veterans are eligible, veterans may be eligible for services listed in all the other chapters





SITUATION: A veteran needs help in find resources.


Assistance in finding services is available from:

Department of Veteran’s Services
Clinton Twp.

(586) 469-5315

Disabled American Veterans, Fraser

(888) 448-2328

Vietnam Veterans of America

(800) VVA-MICH
(800) 882-6424


SITUATION: A veteran wishes to join a veteran’s membership/service organization (benefits can include:  job fairs, discounts, referrals to veterans benefits).


Michigan Veteran’s Membership/Service Organizations:

American Legion

(313) 964-6640


(877) 726-8387

Catholic War Veterans

Disabled American Veterans

(313) 964-6595

Department of Michigan

Marine Corps League

(800) 283-3448

Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America

(212) 982-9699

Military Order of the Purple Heart

Joseph Didia
(586) 757-5844

Motor City Chapter of the Women Marines Association

E-mail only:

Paralyzed Veterans of America

(800) 555-9140

Polish Legion of American Veterans

(586) 943-0514

VA Center for Women Veterans

(800) 827-1000

Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)

(517) 485-9456

Veterans of Modern Warfare

(888) 445-9891

Vietnam Veterans of America

(800) VVA-MICH
(800) 882-6424


SITUATION:  Flow charts to help located Macomb Services for homeless veterans/those at risk of homelessness

Flow Charts to help locate Macomb services for homeless veterans and those at risk of homelessness to locate prevention, temporary or permanent housing is posted at:


SITUATION: A veteran or surviving spouse’s home is being threatened with foreclosure.

Funding assistance to prevent foreclosure for certain members of the military. Available from the Michigan Veterans Homeowners Assistance Program (MiVHAP):


Use of grant assistance

Eligibility Determination/

Application Procedure

    Active duty service members (with an owner/dependent occupied home in Michigan)

    Active reserve members (with an owner/dependent occupied home in Michigan)

    Any active or reserve status service member who lost a home to foreclosure in Michigan since 2006 and still lives in Michigan.

    Michigan Air and Army National Guard active and reserve status members.

    Any honorably (including general under honorable condition) discharged Veteran living in an owner occupied home in Michigan or lived in a home lost to foreclosure since 2006 and still resides in Michigan.

   Surviving spouse of a Michigan service member whose death occurred in conflict since 2006 living in an owner occupied home in Michigan or lived in a home lost to foreclosure since 2006 and still resides in Michigan

    Direct payment to mortgage company to cure default or reinstate mortgage from foreclosure.

    Pay delinquent property taxes if home is in foreclosure.

    Pay grant to assist with loan modification or to secure refinance of improved loan.

    If home is already lost, determine ability to enhance overall financial situation.

   Essential home repairs to resolve safety or health related issues or retain property insurance.

The decision to grant assistance is made by the MiVHAP Board on a case-by-case basis.

The factors considered by the MiVHAP Board include, but are not limited to:

    The applicant’s overall financial Situation

    The amount of assistance requested, and the physical condition of applicant’s home.

The decision of the MiVHAP Board is final and binding, and there is no review recourse.

To apply:

Go to the DMVA website ( to access the application and instruction. The application can be filled out on the computer and printed Word) or printed off (PDF) then completed and sent to MVTF.  Information cannot be saved on the application.

Mail or fax the application and accompanying documents to:
Fax: (517) 284-5297
Phone: (517) 284-5296
MI Veterans Trust Fund- MiVHAP
P.O. Box 30104 Lansing, MI 48909


SITUATION:   A veteran/veteran family with a low-income and is homeless or at imminent risk of becoming homeless needs assistance.

Outreach, case management, financial assistance and assistance in obtaining VA and other benefits (“Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) program”) is available to low-income qualifying veterans and their families who are in or transitioning to permanent housing. Eligibility requirements:

Be a veteran

A veteran is defined as a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable . Must meet VA eligibility requirements as described in

Family situation

Be a Veteran who is a single person or a family in which the head of household, or the spouse of the head of household, is a Veteran

Very low-income

50% area median income

Living situation

1)     Currently homeless
2)     Scheduled to become resident of permanent housing within 90 days pending the location or
        development of suitable permanent housing or
3)     Currently homeless, exited permanent housing within the previous 90 days in order to seek
housing more responsive to needs and preferences
4)     Imminently at-risk of becoming homeless

(For Community Housing Network only - a veteran who is “couch surfing” is considered to be homeless.)

The qualifications for the SSVF Rapid Re-housing resource offered by Community Housing Network is based on income under 50% AMI and their prevention services are based on income under 30% AMI. CHN considers a veteran who is “couch surfing” to be homeless.

Community Housing Network services do not provide long-term case management. However, if the veteran can get into the VA HUDVASH program, VA HUDVASH will provide long-term case management. For more information on the VA HUDVASH program, contact the HUD Director of Homeless Programs, (313) 576-1000 ext. 64249.







Training & Treatment Innovations


Macomb, Oakland, Jackson, Saginaw, Lapeer and Genesee Counties (This Supportive Services for Veteran Families program serves veteran families who live in Macomb and plan to move to one of the other counties listed above or if they live in any of the counties above and who plan to move to Macomb County.)

TTI Sterling Heights Office
1225 E. Big Beaver Rd.
Troy, Mi 48083
(866) 787-6734 

The Case Manager for Macomb is mobile and will meet the Veteran at a convenient location for the Veteran.

Southwest Housing Solutions

Macomb County

(This program can serve veteran families who live in Macomb but plan to move to any other county in Michigan or who live in any other county in Michigan and plan to move to Macomb County.)

1600 Porter St.
Detroit, MI  48216
(313) 481-7900




SITUATION:   A veteran needs housing.

Transitional housing for veterans who are homeless or threatened with eviction.  Other services available are: meals, job placement, substance abuse counseling, case management, medical screening, VA benefits guidance, legal help, academic opportunities, life skills, and entertainment. Available from Vets Returning Home, Roseville, (586) 285-5606.

Personalized one-on-one help in matching the housing needs of veterans (of any war eras) and their dependents. Housing options include: help in qualifying for a mortgage, the purchase of a home at a discount, a lease-to-own arrangement, or locating rental property. Available from Veterans Constructing Communities Foundation, (586) 469-8900. The application for assistance may be completed online at:

SITUATION:   A veteran needs his smoke alarm inspected or installed.

Free smoke alarm inspection and installation for veterans that  don’t have smoke alarms, those that have smoke alarms that no longer work properly and for those that have smoke alarms that are over 10 years old. Will install one smoke alarm for each floor of home and will provide smoke alarms for the hearing and visually impaired on a case-by-case basis. Available from the American Red Cross at (313) 494-3432 to schedule an appointment.

SITUATION:   A wounded or disabled veteran or families of currently deployed military personnel needs snow removal.

Free snow and ice management for wounded or disabled veterans or families of currently deployed military personnel across the U.S. No percentage of disability is required, eligibility is open to veterans who are classified as wounded or disabled by the U.S. military. To register, go the following website:, on the top, click on “Programs,” then click on “Snowcare,” then click on “Military families,” then click on “Sign Up.” On the lower right hand side of the Sign Up page, click on “new user.” Once registered and qualified, disabled veterans/military families are matched with a local volunteer (if available).

SITUATION:   A disabled veteran needs exemption from paying property taxes


Exemption from property taxes for a disabled veteran or their surviving unmarried spouse is available for residents of Michigan who meet one of the following criteria:  

1)      Have been determined by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs to be permanently and totally disabled as a result of military service and entitled to veteran’s benefits at the 100% rate;

2)      Have a certificate from the U.S. Veterans Administration or its successors, certifying that he or she is receiving or has received pecuniary assistance due to disability for speciality adapted housing;

3)      Has been rated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as individually unemployable.

Contact the Assessing Department of your local City or Township for the application deadline.

To start the process, go to: and complete the affidavit. Also needed is a copy of the disability exemption from the VA. Call the City or Township in which the veteran lives to see if they want them mailed or brought into their office. 


Telephone number

Armada Twp.

(586) 784-5200

Bruce Twp.

(586) 752-4585 ext. 23

Chesterfield Twp.

(586) 949-0400 ext. 6

Clinton Twp.

(586) 286-9468

Center Line

(586) 757-6800


(586) 445-5005


(586) 293-3100

Harrison Twp.

(586) 466-1410

Lenox Twp.

(586) 727-2085, then press 1

Macomb Twp.

(586) 992-0710, then press option 1


(810) 392-2385

Mt. Clemens

(586) 469-6818 ext. 4

New Baltimore

(586) 725-2151, ext. 106

New Haven Call Lenox Township (586) 727-2085 then press 1

Ray Twp.

(586) 749-5171, ext. 207


(586) 727-7571, then press 2, and then press 2 again

Richmond Twp.

(586) 727-8998

Romeo (586) 752-3565 then ask to speak to the treasurer


(586) 445-5430

St. Clair Shores

(586) 447-3355

Sterling Heights (586) 446-2340


(586) 739-1600, ask for the Assessor who is only available on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4 - 7 P.M.


(586) 574-4532

Washington Twp.

(586) 786-0010, then press 3



SITUATION:   A veteran needs employment or training services

Registration on the Michigan Talent Bank and contact with a local Veteran Employment Specialist is available in Michigan Works! Service Centers. Registering on the Michigan Talent Bank makes your résumé available to thousands of employers statewide. The Macomb County Michigan Works! Service Centers and contact information:

Mt. Clemens

75 N. River Road
Mt. Clemens, MI 48043

(586) 783-7803

Fedilias McFall


15950 12 Mile Rd.
Roseville, MI 48066

(586) 447-9222

Mark Meadows,

Clinton Township

43630 Hayes Rd., #100
Clinton Township, MI  48038

(586) 286-9514

Jeffrey W. Risdon

Internet training for disabled American veterans remotely from home for jobs in the tech industry. Classes are four months long and conducted via the internet so the veteran can train at home and then work from home. Available from Veterans Workshop, (888) 398-7481.


SITUATION:   A member of the military with children aged 1 – 6 wants parenting education during and after deployment.

A ten-week parent education program for military families with children ages 1 - 6 who have or are currently deployed is available from the Judson Center. For more information, contact Karen Smith, (734) 936-2627 or (Up to $90.00 offered for course completion and evaluation.)


SITUATION:   A veteran with a traumatic brain injury needs services.

Support group and recreational activities for brain injury survivors, family members, friends and caregivers
available in Macomb County and special event locations in Oakland and Wayne Counties. Available from Macomb Chapter Brain Injury Association of Michigan, call: Marty Zobrovitz,(586) 774-0135, or e-mail:


SITUATION:  A military family needs to learn financial planning

Financial planning services for military families are available from the American Red Cross, operating an office at Selfridge Air National Guard base, (586) 239-5583.

Free one-on-one financial coaching for transitioning veterans (independent of discharge status) including help in identifying financial goals, creating a plan, and tracking process to achieve those goals. Available from Michigan Works!.  For more information, contact Gabriella Barthlow, (586) 783-1398.


SITUATION:  A veteran needs a copy of his/her service record

A request for a copy of military records is requested from the State of Michigan website: 238208 7.pdf

SITUATION:  A veteran needs to know his/her federal VA benefits.

A list of Federal Benefits for veterans, dependents and survivors is available
online at: book.asp


SITUATION:  A female veteran needs to know her federal VA benefits.

A hotline to respond to questions from female veterans, their families and caregivers about the many VA services and resources available to women veterans is available from the Department of Veterans Affairs, (855) VA-WOMEN.

SITUATION:  A severely wounded service member needs to know his/her government benefits


Guidance and help to navigate government benefits available to military personnel and their families. Available from the Wounded Warrior Project. For more information, go to:

SITUATION:  A disabled veteran needs to know his/her federal VA benefits.

A guide detailing monetary, health care and employment services and support benefits, and outlines the interaction between government benefits and employment or self-employment for veterans with disabilities. The goal is to provide disabled veterans and their families enough information to understand how work income can affect benefits. It provides tools so they can stay financially secure while remaining eligible for supports and services, and assists in transitioning away from supports when appropriate, in a planned process. For more information or to download a copy, go to:

SITUATION:  A member of the military (active or reserves) and/or their family members need information on how to connect with services

24 hour telephone consultation for all active duty, Guard and Reserve regardless of activation status and their families for referrals to such needs as child care, spousal employment, income tax preparation, car repair, plumbing, money management, counseling, or relocation. Available from Military One Source, (800) 342-9647 or (Services available in 140 languages).

Peer support and outreach from trained veterans for Michigan veterans of "Operation Enduring Freedom" and "Operation Iraqi Freedom" (OEF/OIF) is available from the Buddy-to-Buddy Program helping returning OEF/OIF veterans deal with the many challenges they may face when readjusting to civilian life. 4Services are voluntary, confidential and free. Callers will be matched with a veteran trained to help them find resources for mental heath, substance abuse, financial benefits, education, legal or job issues. Contact (888) 82-BUDDY (822-8339) or go to

Free assistance and information in preparing, developing, and obtaining sufficient evidence to support claims for veterans’ benefits (compensation, pensions, loans, and medical benefits) and to assist claimants appealing to the Board of Veterans’ Appeals is available from the American Red Cross, Board of Veterans’ Appeals, (202) 565-4119, Washington, DC.


Expedited processing of disability claims from Social Security (benefits available through Social Security are different than those from the Department of Veterans Affairs and require a separate application) for military service members who become disabled while on active military service on or after October 1, 2001, regardless of where the disability occurs is available from the Social Security Administration, (800) 772-1213 or visit:


SITUATION:  A caregiver of a veteran needs help

Information on community caregiver support resources and referrals for caregivers of veterans is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 A.M. - 11:00 A.M. and Saturday from 10:30 A.M. - 6:00 P.M. Available from the National Caregiver Support Line (855) 260-3274 or visit their website at

SITUATION:  A wounded warrior needs help in finding health care and disability claims.


Wounded Warrior Resource Consultants are available to assist wounded warriors of any era with navigating the VA health care and disability claims system.  Support may include, but not limited to, assistance with the following: pay and personnel issues, invitational travel orders, lodging and housing adaptations for the wounded warrior, child and youth care arrangements, transportation needs, legal and guardianship issues, education and training benefits, respite care, traumatic brain injury/post-traumatic stress support services.  Available from Wounded Warrior Resources - Military One Source (800) 342-9647 or


SITUATION:  A returning member of the military and their family needs health benefits


v  180 days of transition health benefits are available for all returning soldiers/ families. Members of the military enrolled in PRIME or Prime Remote during the deployment will need to re-enroll again for the Transitional Assistance period. For more information, contact the Tricare North Region Contractor, or go to the website: or by phone (877) 877-TRICARE (877-874-2273).

v  A full range of health care for veterans, to include prescription, surgery, counseling and rehabilitation. Soldiers may take advantage of this benefit for a two year period following deployment for illness potentially related to service in combat theater. To receive care, veterans must first enroll by submitting a VA Form 10-10EZ. For information about Veteran Administration services, benefits, and facility locations visit or call (800) 827-1000.

v  Voluntary premium-based health care coverage plan may be available to veterans who are members of the Selected Guard and Reserve. For more information, call (877) TRICARE (877-874-2273)or


SITUATION:  A veteran is having suicidal thoughts

Telephone reassurance and support is available from the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800) 273-TALK (8255) Press one for the Veteran’s line or visit their website at

SITUATION:  A member of the military (active or reserves regardless of activation status) needs mental health counseling


v  Twelve (12) free counseling sessions (face-to-face, short-term focused telephone consultations or online consultations) for such issues as coping with deployment and return, adjusting to a new location, marital concerns, parenting and family matters, grief and loss, combat stress, etc. Available from or (800) 342-9647. (Services available in 140 languages).

Readjustment counseling to all veterans who have served in combat zones and their family members is provided at no cost to veterans or their families. To receive care, family and veterans need a copy of DD214 paperwork. For more information go to

Free mental health services to returning military personnel and their families and to parents, siblings, and unmarried partners who are not entitled to receive mental health benefits through the military.  Services include: counseling to individuals, couples and families, and children and adolescents, treatment for anxiety, depression, substance abuse, post-traumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injuries, sexual health and intimacy concerns, and loss and grieving.) The military person visits the Give An Hour web site and clicks on "For Visitors" to get information on what to expect and how to choose a provider. She clicks on "Provider Search" to find someone offering individual counseling services near her former active-duty station. The military person obtains the counselor’s contact information from the list of providers and calls him to set up an appointment. After the appointment, the military person volunteers an hour of their time at a community site listed on the GAH website. Available from Give an Hour :

SITUATION: A veteran has post-traumatic stress disorder


If a veteran is in crisis, call 911, go to the nearest Emergency Room, or call 800- 273-TALK (800) 273-8255. (Spanish/Español (888) 628-9454). Press 1 for the veteran’s line.


Information on PTSD is available on the VA website:

Information on PTSD is available from the National Center for PTSD website:

Information on PTSD is available from the PTSD Alliance,

Evidence-based treatments for PTSD (Prolonged Exposure Therapy and Cognitive Processing Therapy) is available at all VA Medical Centers. For a list of VA Medical Center, go to:

SITUATION: A veteran has a-traumatic brain injury.

Education, advocacy, research opportunities, support and support groups to brain injury survivors their families, and the people who serve them
is available from The Brain Injury Association of Michigan (BIAMI), (810) 229-5880 or (800) 444- 6443. Website:

Information on traumatic brain injury in active duty military and veterans with traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) is available at the following website:

The Michigan Resource Guide for persons With Traumatic Brain Injury is available at: Resource Guide V3 201402 7.pdf



SITUATION:  A veteran is homeless

Housing and complete clinical services (including case management; individual and group counseling; substance abuse treatment; medical care; budgeting assistance; job interviewing and placement; anger management, and recreational opportunities) in a therapeutic community setting for 18 months for homeless veterans is available from Volunteers of America Veterans Housing Program. Available in Lansing only. For more information, call (517) 489-5285 ext. 103 or visit:

A six-month weekday homeless service center open to both male and female veterans. This program also offers the assistance of the Veteran’s Case Manager and the physical and mental health services of the VA Medical Hospitals. Available in Lansing only. For more information, call (517) 489-5285 ext. 103 or visit:

SITUATION:  A disabled veteran returning from Iraq and Afghanistan needs a house

A free newly-built or renovated specially-adapted house for disabled veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan is available from Homes for Our Troops. For more information, call Dan Higgins (248) 504-9843. Website:

SITUATION:  A wounded warrior needs a home

A mortgage-free home in order to assist transition to civilian life is available to qualified wounded warriors. After a period of stewardship, the home is then deeded to the wounded warrior. Homes are available in multiple locations nationwide. Available from Military Warriors Support Foundation, (210) 615-8973 or visit:

Specially-adapted homes built for severely wounded (minimum 30% permanently disabled) military heroes injured in theater during the Operation Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom is available from Homes for Heros, (888) 786-9531 Apply online at Click the “Home Application" link on the right.

SITUATION:  The elderly widows and widowers of retired or honorable separated military officers of all branches of the service wish to live in a military retirement community.

Retirement living, with access to continuing health care, for military officers (and their spouses) who served honorably (no qualified widow or widower is ever turned away due to inability to pay.) is available at Air Force Village 1 in San Antonio, Texas, (800) 724-5771.

A nursing home for eligible Michigan veterans and/or parents, widows, widowers, former spouses and spouses of eligible veterans and who were unable to care for themselves is available at:

Jacobetti Veterans Facility

Marquette, MI

Admissions Office
(800) 433-6760 or go to:,4569,7-126-2362_2763---,00.html

Grand Rapids Home for Veterans

Grand Rapids, MI

Admissions Office
(800) 642-4838,4569,7-126-2362_2749---,00.html



Emergency financial assistance to soldiers and their immediate family members is available by contacting your Family Assistance Center or Family Readiness Support Assistant.  For more information about the Michigan National Guard Family Fund and other financial assistance programs, visit or call (517) 481-4891 for information about the application process.

Temporary Financial Assistance is available to keep minor children of deceased or disabled veterans at home rather than in institutions and who are not covered by subsequent state and federal programs for the needy. Available from AMVETS through a local post which requests the cash assistance to help maintain the basic needs of veterans’ children (shelter, food, utilities and health expenses) when parents are unable. Membership in the American Veterans is not required. See the website for the specific requirements: For a list of your local AMVET post, go to:

Temporary assistance granted for emergencies or hardships for eligible wartime veterans, and their families, residing in Michigan is available to provide the basic necessities of life in our society without causing a hardship. (Assistance is not available for long-term problems or chronic financial difficulties). Available from the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund with applications available at the Macomb County Department of Veterans Services, (586) 469-5315.

Non-recurring financial assistance for honorably discharged, war-time veterans and their families or their surviving spouses is available from the Wayne County Soldiers and Sailors Relief Service Group, (313) 224-8163 or visit their web page at:

Emergency assistance and morale to troops (all branches of the armed forces, including active duty, Guard and Reserve), and to the families they leave behind and to wounded warriors when they return home is available from Operation Homefront. Command officials, chaplains, family support centers and other military non-profits refer the cases. The rest of our cases come through their online community and word-of-mouth.

Grants to qualifying families of military members in either the Michigan National Guard or Reserves who were called to active duty as a result of the national response to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks is available from the Military Family Relief Fund,. For more information, call (866) 271-4404 or download the application form: Form 128132 7.pdf

Emergency financial aid to disabled American veterans from the global War on Terror (utility bills, car payments, new car deposits, repair costs, and gasoline, mortgage and rent payments, groceries, home repairs, air travel, and lodging, school supplies and clothing, medical bills and co-payments, loans) is available from the Coalition to Salute America's Heroes, (914) 432-5400 or apply online at:


Improved Pension for Veterans and surviving spouses who require the regular attendance of another person to assist in eating, bathing, dressing, undressing, medication dosing, or taking care of the needs of nature to receive additional monetary benefits.  It also includes individuals who are blind or a patient in a nursing home because of mental or physical incapacity.  Assisted care in an Assisted Living facility also qualifies.  This is a "Pension Benefit" and IS NOT dependent upon service-related injuries for compensation.  Aid and Attendance can help pay for care in the home, Nursing Home or Assisted Living facility.  A veteran is eligible for up to $1,738 per month, while a surviving spouse is eligible for up to $1,130 per month.  A veteran with a spouse is eligible for up to $2,085 per month and a veteran with a sick spouse is eligible for up to $1,380 per month. For more information, go to: To apply, go to


Gift certificates purchased by friends, families or groups which allow services members to purchase items at PX and BX facilities around the world. Certificates can be purchased from the Army and Air Force Exchange Service and addressed to a specific service member. Or certificates can be purchased and addressed to "any service member" and sent to the Red Cross for distribution. To purchase a gift certificate, log on to or call (877) 770-4438. The American Red Cross distributes the gift certificates through its Armed Forces Emergency Services staff members who are deployed.


Personal Financial Counseling to help military individuals and families with managing finances, resolve financial problems and reach long-term goals such as getting an education, buying a home and planning for retirement. Available from Military One Source, (800) 342-9647 or


Free shuttle transportation for a veteran with a confirmed morning appointment at the John Dingel VA Medical Center in Detroit. Pick up locations are in Shelby Township, Clinton Township, and Roseville. The veteran must be ambulatory - no wheelchairs or oxygen - and be able to walk without assistance. To be placed on the pick-up schedule, call no less than 2 days in advance of the appointment to Macomb Veterans Services, (586) 469-5315.


Air transportation for medical and other compassionate purposes to wounded warriors, veterans, and their families (priority is for on the Veterans of Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan) through a national network of volunteer aircraft owners and pilots. Any veteran or active duty military person undergoing continuing medical care is eligible for transportation between the medical facility and from his/her home. A medical release from a physician may be required for travel. Passengers (family or a very close personal friend of the veteran) are transported to and from the medical facility for the benefit of the service member/veteran, not the passengers. Passenger eligibility requires the service member/veteran to be undergoing continuing medical care, either hospitalized or as an outpatient. Available from Veteran’s Airlift Command (VAC),  or call the VAC offices at 952-582-2911 to start the process.


Identification of employment opportunities that match the veteran’s qualifications and career interests is available by calling the Veterans’ Hotline, (800) 455-5228 or visit their website at

A website that provides for National Guard, Reserve, retired and transitioning active-duty military members connect to career and training opportunities in the construction industry. This program employs several Regional Directors and volunteers who take an active role in connecting veterans to career and training opportunities. Available from Helmets to Hardhats,

A job listing and resume posting, advice and interview tips website for military veterans is available at Employers who seek to hire veterans may post their job opportunities for free. For more information, contact Operation Hero for Hire, at

Comprehensive employment and training program designed to address employment barriers. A continuum of supportive services will be provided and coordinated, giving homeless veterans the ability to participate in job skills training programs while meeting their basic needs. Available from the Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program of Volunteers of America with services provided in Lansing only. For more information, call (517) 484-4414 ext. 103 or visit their website:

Low interest loans to veterans and members of the military community wanting to establish or expand a small business which may be used for most business purposes, including start-up, expansion, equipment purchases, working capital, inventory or business-occupied real-estate purchases. Available from U.S. Small Business Administration - Patriot Express Loans, Michigan District office: (313) 226-6075 or visit:


A website of grants for veterans, military science students, or Dependents is available at:

A free semester of classes at Western Michigan University for service members following their discharge or leave from active duty. A veteran who is eligible for VA benefits should apply within six months of his/her deployment and must begin taking classes within the six month period. Available from Western Michigan University - Veteran’s Department, (269) 387-6000 or visit their website at

Undergraduate tuition grant of up to $2,800 for the eligible children (older than 16 and less than 26 years old) of certain deceased military personnel or totally and permanently disabled veterans is available from the Michigan Higher Education Assistance Authority, (517) 373-3394. Application forms can be downloaded at

Payments for post-secondary education in Michigan for children of a disabled or deceased veteran or missing in action is available from the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund - Tuition Grant program. Information and application forms are available at the Macomb Veteran’s Affairs office Macomb County Veteran’s Services, (586) 469- 5315. or visit:

v  Scholarships to Macomb Community College (MCC) for U.S. Armed Forces veterans from the Iraq or Afghanistan wars, their spouses, and children is available from the James and Dorothy Stanton Foundation. For more information, call the MCC Financial Aid office, (586) 445-7228 or visit their website at:

A list of veteran-friendly schools committed to providing on-campus, veteran-centric services to better support their academic and transitional needs. Available from the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency website:


Peer support and outreach from trained veterans for Michigan veterans of "Operation Enduring Freedom" and "Operation Iraqi Freedom" (OEF/OIF) is available from the Buddy-to-Buddy Program helping returning OEF/OIF veterans deal with the many challenges they may face when readjusting to civilian life. Services are voluntary, confidential and free. Callers will be matched with a veteran trained to help them find resources for mental heath, substance abuse, financial benefits, education, legal or job issues. Contact (888) 82-BUDDY or go to

Building connections between wounded warriors/establishing a network of peers to provide assistance, friendship, and inspiration is available from the Wounded Warrior Project,

Moms of Michigan Military and Supporters meetings for moms of children who are currently serving or who have served in the U.S. military take place every third Wednesday at 7:00 P.M. at Romeo VFW Hall, 7455 McVicar Road, Romeo, MI 48066 or visit their website, at: and click on the “Calendar” tab for a list of meetings and events.


Community Center for veterans and their families who have served in all branches and wars. Activities include connection with job opportunities, free events and services, peer mentors, educational classes. Proof of military status required: valid DD-214, VA Card, Copy of Active Duty Orders, or Military ID. For family members: a photo ID that shows the same last name. Should the last name be different, bring a Birth or Marriage Certificate that shows the relationship to the Veteran. Available from Haven Place in New Haven, MI. For more information, call (586) 484-8540 or

Sports teams for wounded veterans with no minimum qualification times, nor specific level of injury or maximum number of participants.  All veterans with disabilities or injuries are invited to participate as a member of the team to the extent that they feel comfortable.  For more information, contact Bryan Belcher, or (910) 639-6436. 

Hunting, fishing, camping trips and other outdoor recreational activities for disabled soldiers is available from Operation Injured Soldier, (248) 437-1144.

A hockey program designed for disabled veterans is available from Michigan Warriors Hockey. Eligible veterans must have or apply for a disability rating from the VA to be eligible.  Practices are held in Royal Oak. In the fall of 2016, three other practice sites will be added.  Teams are assigned by region: either Ann Arbor or Metro Detroit. Games are played all over the region. Participation in charitable activities is also available. To register to join, go to

Recreational (skiing, snow boarding, snowshoeing, wilderness walk, etc ) and cultural (art, drama, music, etc) experiences for wounded warriors with cognitive or physical disabilities. Available from Challenge Aspen - Military Opportunities, Colorado. For more information, call TTY: (970) 923-0578 or

Scuba diving for injured servicemen and women at fort Campbell in Kentucky. Available from Underwater Warriors. For more information, call (931) 431-5700 or visit:

A week of free lodging at a vacation home donated by a homeowner is available to Purple Heart Medal recipients from the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns is available from Vacations for Veterans, (800) 831 8803 or visit:


Burial in a VA national cemetery is available for eligible veterans, their spouses and dependents at no cost to the family and includes the grave site, grave liner, opening and closing of the grave, a headstone or marker, and perpetual care as part of a national shrine. For veterans, benefits also include a burial flag (with case for active duty) and military funeral honors. Family members and other loved ones of deceased veterans may request Presidential Memorial Certificates. The National cemeteries in Michigan accepting internments:

The Fort Custer National Cemetery
15501 Dickman Road
Augusta, MI 49012
(269) 731-4164

Great Lakes National Cemetery
Grand Mall and Office Center
4200 Belford
Holly, MI 48442
(866) 348-8603


Information on burial benefit, headstones and markers, Presidential Memorial Certificates, cemeteries, nationwide grave site locator, burial flags, burial allowance, eligibility for benefits and women and minority veterans is available at:

Reimbursement of foundation costs to put a Veterans Administration marker on the graves of honorably discharged, war-time veterans is available from the Wayne County Soldiers and Sailors Relief Service Group, (313) 224-8163. For more information, visit:  

Shielding a mourning family of a fallen military member and their friends from interruptions created by any protestor or group of protestors (accomplished through strictly legal and non-violent means). Available from Patriot Guard Riders The Michigan State Captain contact is Sam Cottle,


SITUATION:  A present or retired member of the military needs tax preparation and filing services.

Free online tax preparation and filing services for the military. The service allows you to complete and electronically file your federal and up to three state tax returns or filings. The Military OneSource Tax Consultants will be available 7 days a week 0700-2300. You must access the link through the Military OneSource homepage which lists eligibility. Go to:


SITUATION:  A military or veteran’s spouse/partner needs a support group.

A free eight-week resiliency group for military/veteran spouses or partners focuses on building social support and positive relationships, learning new approaches to self-care, connecting to resources, and promoting resiliency and positive coping. A resiliency program for children and teens is also offered for participating families. The group is open to spouses or partners of post - 9/11 National Guard, Reserve, or Active Duty service members or Veterans. Up to $140 is available for completing evaluations of the program. Free meal and child care, children’s program, and teen program are also offered. Groups are currently forming throughout southern Michigan. For more information, contact Ms. Jodi Goodman at (734) 998-5849 or e-mail

SITUATION:  A veteran needs emergency financial assistance.

Financial assistance for wounded, ill, and injured Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) and Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) honorably discharged veterans with a VA disability rating and who are experiencing an unexpected financial setback. Money is available for mortgage, rent, auto loan, auto insurance, electric, natural gas, heating petroleum. All past due bills must be at least 30 days in arrears to qualify. Only one emergency financial request per household and one time only. To apply, download the Emergency Financial Assistance Application from: and email to:


SITUATION:  A veteran/veteran's family needs to develop money management skills.

A financial coach is available to help veterans and their families develop their own Financial/Money Management Plans (eliminate debt, build credit, pay bills on time, save for retirement, and take control of personal finances) in a private one-on-one judgmentfree and supportive setting. Contracted through the Armed Forces Services Corps by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Contact: Gabriella Barthlow, AFC, (586) 783-1398 or